VEAL CUTLETS with BRIE and BASIL
(from my Archive File)
6 veal cutlets (about 1 ¼ pounds), each cut about ¾ inch thick
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Butter or margarine
4 ounces Brie cheese
½ cup water
About 2 hours before serving:
1. On cutting board, with meat mallet or dull edge of French knife, pound each veal cutlet into 1/16-inch thickness. On waxed paper, mix flour and 1 tsp salt. Coat veal cutlets with flour mixture.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat; in 3 Tbles hot butter or margarine, cook cutlets, a few at a time, until lightly browned on both sides and tender, adding more butter or margarine as needed. Remove cutlets to oven-safe platter as they brown and arrange some cheese and a small basil leaf on half of each cutlet; fold other half over cheese.
3. Cover platter with foil. Bake 10 to 15 minutes to melt cheese.
4. Meanwhile into drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, stir water and 1/8 tsp salt; heat to boiling, stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep warm.
5. To serve, pour sauce over cutlets; garnish with fresh basil if you like. Makes 6 servings.